Canberra Social Doubles Competitions
Our very popular Social Doubles gives the opportunity for players of Tennis Canberra to feel tennis at a competitive level in a fun social environment.
Matches are modified so players can get their weekly tennis fix and a modified scoring system keeps all matches interesting until the very end.
Sign up with a friend or if you don’t have a partner we’ll find you one. Our competition format is designed so all players are playing matches to suit their standard.
Upcoming Season Launch – 2021 April 27th & 28th
- South Canberra Competition: Tuesday April 27th (Grading week 1)
- Canberra City & North Canberra Competition: Wednesday April 28th (Grading week 1)
- Please try to sign up 2 weeks before the season start (subject to availability)
- Final call New Players: All players can still join between Grading Week 1 or 2 (subject to availability)
- Final Call: Only past & current Tennis Canberra coaching & competition players can join between Grading week 2 & Round 1 (subject to availability)
- The competition will finish approximately 7-10 weeks after the season launch. For most competitions each season will see 8 rounds scheduled (2 grading rounds, 6 pool rounds & finals round). No matches will be played during the school holidays and any rainouts will postpone any fixtures to the following week.
- Barton Tennis Club: 45 Telopea Park, Barton
- Old Parliament House Tennis Club: King George Terrace, Parkes
- Wesley Tennis Club (adj Telopea Park School): Corner of Dominion Circuit & New South Wales Crescent, Forrest
Canberra City & North Canberra
- Turner Tennis Club: 49 Condamine St, Turner
- Reid Tennis Club: Dirrawan Gardens, Reid
- 6pm, 7pm or 8pm (6:30pm & 7:30pm are used too)
We understand some players struggle to make certain times. We advise if you are going to sign up you are able to make at least a 7pm session and either 6pm & 8pm. We will do our very best to schedule you at your preferred time however we do ask you to be flexible from week to week.
- $160 Per Season ($20/round)
Play 3 Fast 4 Sets
Set 1 – Play a standard Fast 4 Set + Basic Rules
- Short Deuce Games – 0, 15, 30, 40 & game (no advantage points)
- Start each game on the right side
- If the score is Deuce (40-all) the returning team can choose which side to start the point
- Change ends when set game score equals an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7)
- Play a tie-breaker at 3-games-all (first to 5 points) – Player 1 (team 1), players 2 (team 2) & player 3 (team 1) serves 2 points in this order. Player 4 (team 2) serves 3 points – if necessary.
Second Set – Advantage Set – 15-love
- The team who loses the first set is 15-love or love-15 for every game in the second
- Start of each game on the left side (you pretend you have played the first point)
- If the set goes to a tie-break (3-games-all) you start the tie-break as normal (0-0)
Third Set – 2 Situations
- If the score is 1-set-all, start each game at 15-all (start each game on the right)
- If one team is up 2-sets-to-love, the team that is on love-sets will have a 15-love advantage for all games in the third set (start each game on the left)
Third Serve – For Starter/Beginner Division
- We may activate a third serve rule for lower starter/beginner pools
The first question we get asked is what if I don’t have a partner?
- 50% of players sign up individually and we’ll pair you up with a partner!
If you do have a partner…
- Sign up individually and be sure to let us know who you would like to play with.
- 2 Grading Rounds, 5 Round Robin Pool Matches + 1 Finals Week
- 3-Fast4 Sets (Tie-Breaker at 3-all)
- 15-love (0-15) handicap for the team down in match sets
- 15-all start if set score is 1-set-each
Don’t stress if you don’t understand these rules. All rules will be explained during the first round. We’ve tinkered with the rules of the years to maximise the social competition aspect of tennis.
Although this is a social competitions and playing every week is the primary objective below are winners from the 2020 Term 3 Winter Comp & Term 4 Summer Competitions. You have won a prize (A mini display Tennis Racquet). Apologies this is a little late – 2020 was a very disrupted year!
How to pick-up your prize:
- We can give to you if you are playing the upcoming doubles competition
- If you have joined a 2021 Weekly Coaching Group we can give it to your coach
- Pick up in January during our kids holiday camps or Summer Swing Sessions
Let us know your preference – email@example.com
If none of these options work still e-mail us and we’ll find away to get one of these cool racquets to you!
2020 Winter Season Winners & Runners Up
|John Booth||Dominic Welman||Luke Payten||Matt Ritchie|
|Jarryd Klein||Trent Moore||Ryan Diessel||Yuta Himura|
|Vijay Mareddy||Keshav Puri||Peter Jensen||Ruby Jensen|
|Will Farrell||Maddy Farrell||Edwina Johnson||Deb Williams|
|David Kennedy||Luke Humphris||Matthew McFarlane||Brian McFarlane|
|Vanessa Stacy||Kylie Fiddy||Charles Hawley||Felcity Brown|
|Ian Payne||Jenna Kowald||Thomas Sherwin||Michael Lindfield|
|Adhitya Bidarkal||Vishal Kaliaperumal||Jackson McLeod||Bailey Ceddia|
|Oliver Trump||Brendan Regan||Alex Duncan||Alvin Lee|
2020 Spring Season Winners & Runners Up
|Miles Humphrey||Ty Wynwood||Luke Payten||Matt Ritchie|
|Doug Abrahms||Philip Milne||Yuta Himura||Ryan Diessel|
|Joseph Collings||Ganna Iaremchuk||Lukas Eldering||Timothy Ross|
|Aiden Silvestro||Laura Campbell||Angus Forsyth||Ellen Connell|
|Alex Duncan||Rachael Polmear||Hayden White||Meg Rice|
|Vanessa Hawes||Remi||Nick Tyrrell||Ken Mclean|
|Lauren Gianoli||Pat Orme||Deborah Williams||Edwina Johnson|
|Nikolay Hsu||Darin Voyles||Nathan Tsui||Ryan Davey|
|Andrew McDonald||Ella Blythe||Luke Humphris||David Kennedy|
|Kate McNamara||Paula Bantock||Tais Silva||Henry Fitzpatrick|
|Rico Salcedo||Jo Bach||Bala Thumma||Femke Withag|
Due to the disruption from the Covid shutdown some of the competition pools having a inconsistency of players (many away throughout the competition) we could not determine some winners.
2021 Summer Comp
February 9th – March 30th
2021 Autumn Comp
2021 Spring Comp
2021 Summer Comp