Canberra Social Doubles Competitions
Our very popular Social Doubles gives the opportunity for players of Tennis Canberra to feel tennis at a competitive level in a fun social environment.
Matches are modified so players can get their weekly tennis fix and a modified scoring system keeps all matches interesting until the very end.
Sign up with a friend or if you don’t have a partner we’ll find you one. Our competition format is designed so all players are playing matches to suit their standard.
2023 SOCIAL DOUBLES COMPETITIONS
- TERM 3 SOCIAL DOUBLES: In season – Join competition now (few spots remaining)
- TERM 4 SOCIAL DOUBLES: Starts October 24th & 25th (sign up open)
- Please try to sign up 3 weeks before the season start (subject to availability)
- Final call New Players: All players can still join between Grading Week 1 or 2 (subject to availability)
- Final Call: Only past & current Tennis Canberra coaching & competition players can join between Grading week 2 & Round 1 (subject to availability)
- The competition will finish approximately 7-10 weeks after the season launch. For most competitions each season will see 8 rounds scheduled (2 grading rounds, 6 pool rounds & finals round). No matches will be played during the school holidays and any rainouts will postpone any fixtures to the following week.
- Barton Tennis Club: 45 Telopea Park, Barton
- Old Parliament House Tennis Club: King George Terrace, Parkes
- Wesley Tennis Club (adj Telopea Park School): Corner of Dominion Circuit & New South Wales Crescent, Forrest
- 6pm, 7pm or 8pm (6:30pm & 7:30pm are used too)
We understand some players struggle to make certain times. We advise if you are going to sign up you are able to make at least a 7pm session and either 6pm & 8pm. We will do our very best to schedule you at your preferred time however we do ask you to be flexible from week to week.
- *$180 Per Season (8-week season) or
- $22.50/round multiplied by number of weeks left in the season
*Payment must be made via cash (on the evening of Week 1) or bank transfer (before start of competition). More payment instructions will follow in the automatic email after sign up.
Play 3 Fast 4 Sets
Set 1 – Play a standard Fast 4 Set + Basic Rules
- Short Deuce Games – 0, 15, 30, 40 & game (no advantage points)
- Start each game on the right side
- If the score is Deuce (40-all) the returning team can choose which side to start the point
- Change ends when set game score equals an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7)
- Play a tie-breaker at 3-games-all (first to 5 points) – Player 1 (team 1), players 2 (team 2) & player 3 (team 1) serves 2 points in this order. Player 4 (team 2) serves 3 points – if necessary.
Second Set – Advantage Set – 15-love
- The team who loses the first set is 15-love or love-15 for every game in the second
- Start of each game on the left side (you pretend you have played the first point)
- If the set goes to a tie-break (3-games-all) you start the tie-break as normal (0-0)
Third Set – 2 Situations
- If the score is 1-set-all, start each game at 15-all (start each game on the right)
- If one team is up 2-sets-to-love, the team that is on love-sets will have a 15-love advantage for all games in the third set (start each game on the left)
Third Serve – For Starter/Beginner Division
- We may activate a third serve rule for lower starter/beginner pools
The first question we get asked is what if I don’t have a partner?
- 50% of players sign up individually and we’ll pair you up with a partner!
If you do have a partner…
- Sign up individually and be sure to let us know who you would like to play with.
- 2 Grading Rounds, 5 Round Robin Pool Matches + 1 Finals Week
- 3-Fast4 Sets (Tie-Breaker at 3-all)
- 15-love (0-15) handicap for the team down in match sets
- 15-all start if set score is 1-set-each
Don’t stress if you don’t understand these rules. All rules will be explained during the first round. We’ve tinkered with the rules of the years to maximise the social competition aspect of tennis.
2023 Summer Comp
January 31st & February 1st
2023 Autumn Comp
MAY 16TH & MAY 17TH
2023 SPRING Comp
AUGUST 8TH & 9TH
2023 Spring/Summer Comp
OCTOBER 24TH & 25TH